Marko Awarded New Zealand Special Service Medal
New Zealand Special Medal (Asian Tsunami) additional list of persons awarded the New Zealand special service MedalOn 26 December 2005 the initial list was published of 163 persons who served in a devastated area in the first two months after the disaster and had been identified as eligible for the New Zealand Special Service Medal, (NZSSM), (Asian Tsunami).The list below contains the details of other individuals who have subsequently been awarded the NZSSM (Asian Tsunami) and who have given NZDF permission to publish their names on the NZDF Medals website.Note to recipients: If you have been awarded the NZSSM (Asian Tsunami), are not listed on this page or on the 26 December 2005 list, and wish to have your name listed on the NZDF Medals website, please let us know via our electronic contact form for enquiries about medals (please select ‘Medals Website Enquiry’ in the dropdown list).Devastated areas: Devastated areas in which New Zealanders were involved in relief and recovery work include Banda Aceh (Indonesia), Phuket (Thailand), Galle (Sri Lanka), Male (The Maldives), and the Andaman Islands.
- • Detective Stephen Harwood
New Zealand civilians who undertook humanitarian work in Aceh Province, Indonesia
- • Dr Regan Thomas Potangaroa who worked for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Banda Aceh. He was deployed by RedR Australia and RedR New Zealand, Registered Engineers for Disaster Relief. Dr Potangaroa’s project was the development and implementation of a permanent housing program for those affected by the tsunami.
- • Jeremy Thorburn who worked for WALHI (Wahana Lingkungan Hidup Indonesia) – an Indonesian Non-Government Organisation – the English translation of the name is “Indonesian Forum for Environment”
- • Mark (Marko) Andrew Cunningham who worked for the Ruamkatanyu Foundation
New Zealand civilians who undertook humanitarian work in or near Ampara and/or Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka
- • Christopher Michael Nixon who worked for Relief International
New Zealand civilians who undertook humanitarian work in or near Batticaloa, Batticaloa District, Sri Lanka
- • Richard Gareth Stockley who worked for German Technical Cooperation (GTZ)
- The New Zealand Special Service Medal (Asian Tsunami)
- Media Statement 26 December 2005 – New medal for Asian Tsunami relief efforts
- 26 December 2005 – Initial list of 163 persons eligible for the award of the New Zealand Special Service Medal (Asian Tsunami)
- Further information and application form – The New Zealand Special Service Medal (Asian Tsunami)
This page was last reviewed 17 December, 2013 and is current.